The New Zealand Institute of Chemistry is seeking a graphic designer with digital publication experience to work on a contract for services basis.
The role’s key responsibility is the digital production of the Institute’s quarterly journal, Chemistry in New Zealand (CiNZ) and occasional smaller jobs such as the design of prize certificates.
Currently our journal is being transformed from a classic scientific journal produced as a hard copy and pdf, to a modern publication with broader audience appeal and interactive content.
To succeed in this role, you will have current knowledge of digital publishing platforms and technology developments, and be active in promoting opportunities and making recommendations for improvements.
We are looking for someone to start in November 2021 with the production of the January 2022 issue of the journal.
Job title: Digital Designer and Publication Specialist
Reports to: NZIC President
Internal: NZIC Content Editor, NZIC Administrator, CiNZ working group
External: Digital platform hosts, Advertisers
Role purpose: The digital designer and publication specialist is responsible for the style, layout and digital publishing of Chemistry in New Zealand, the quarterly journal of the New Zealand Institute of Chemistry
- Liaise with the Content Editor
- Plan content layout and allocate space for story, photos, illustrations, and diagrams.
- Check files and illustrations are in the correct format.
- Create appropriate cover image for each issue.
- Create proofs and have these checked by the Content Editor.
- Send a copy of article to each author.
- Ensure copies of content are sent to the Content Editor in pre and post pdf format
- The estimated time commitment is 5-10 hrs per month.
- Design and layout using desktop publishing software (eg InDesign).
- Image editing.
- MS Word.
- Knowledge of digital publishing technologies and platforms.
- Web design and development including the development of interactive web features.
- Working knowledge of Mailchimp and WordPress.
- Chemdraw knowledge (desirable)
- Some chemistry knowledge is useful
- an eye for detail accuracy.
- imagination and good visual sense.
- able to work independently and to a firm and strict deadline.
To apply, email your CV and covering letter to email@example.com