- We are looking for two outstanding scientists who possess great investigative minds
- Work in a team environment to achieve the advancement of sustainable development
- Full time permanent role at Scion’s Rotorua campus
Scion is a Crown Research Institute specialising in research, science and technology development for the forestry industry, wood products and wood-derived materials. We lead new technology development for renewables, bioproducts and energy and the establishment of a broader based bio-economy.
We are looking for scientists who will join us to support scientific research in developing new materials, products, processes, and analytical techniques for the advancement of sustainable development.
What are we looking for? Fundamental Research Scientists eager to apply their skills to our growing area of organic and polymer chemistry. To support scientific research and development of new materials, products, processes, and analytical techniques for the advancement of sustainable development. We want people who are curious, self-motivated and have a willingness to spend hands-on time in the lab. You will have:
- PhD (no post doc experience necessary), MSc or BSc (with strong experience 3-5 years) qualification in organic chemistry, polymer or materials science or a related discipline with 3-5 years’ work experience.
- Demonstrated experience in chemical synthesis, transformation and processing of bio-based materials
- Proven expertise in CO2 processing systems
- Proven experience with green chemistry principles at laboratory and large scale
- Practical experience in organic and analytical chemistry (e.g. NMR, GCMS, LCMS etc) with application to bio-based materials or products
- Knowledge of natural product chemistry with relevance to the forestry industry
- Ability to undertake and interpret complex analytical data for the elucidation of complex organic chemical or polymer structures or mixtures
- Proven ability to work across multi-disciplinary teams to deliver science, ingenuity and excellence
- Good written and oral presentation skills that can contribute to research proposals, reports and presentations
We are home to creative science minds and have a vibrant culture ensuring employees can pursue innovation and excellence in their science delivery. With our head office based on the edge of Rotorua’s world famous Whakarewarewa Forest, Scion also offers an enviable working environment with excellent work/life balance initiatives. Rotorua is one of New Zealand’s leading tourist destinations owing to its outstanding natural environment and proximity to coastal beaches and inland lakes, native forests, geothermal areas and volcanic ski-fields.
Scion is proud to offer:
- A stimulating research environment aimed at replacing fossil-fuel derived products with environmentally friendly natural alternatives
- An enviable work environment and a demonstrated commitment to Good Employer/ EEO principles.
For a full position description and to apply online please visit www.scionresearch.com