Institute of Environmental Science and Research Ltd (ESR)
ESR is a New Zealand Crown Research Institute that specialises in science relating to people and communities. It’s our science that helps safeguard people’s health, protect food-based economies, improve the safety of freshwater and groundwater resources and contributes expert forensic science to justice systems.
About the role
We have an exciting opportunity for an experienced Senior Technician to join the Forensic Bioanalytical team based at ESR’s Kenepuru Science Centre in Porirua. We are looking for a person with extensive experience within the field of toxicological analysis which includes forensic toxicology, workplace drug testing and blood alcohol, and in depth understanding of the role this position plays in the delivery of forensic services. A relevant tertiary qualification in science and a sound knowledge of analytical chemistry are required for this role.
Duties and Responsibilities
In addition, we are looking for someone with skills and experience in the following areas:
- Relevant experience and knowledge working in an analytical chemistry laboratory.
- Preparation and extraction of biological samples for analytical analysis.
- Use of analytical instrumentation, including:
- Clinical chemistry auto-analyser
- Analytical method development and validation.
- Knowledge of maintenance and trouble-shooting of equipment.
- Laboratory extraction techniques including Liquid/liquid (LLE), solid phase extraction (SPE), supported liquid extraction (SLE) and QuECheRS.
- Immunoassay analysis (ELISA).
- Knowledge of laboratory safety practice, biological and chemical hazards.
- Reporting of results that do not require interpretation.
- Maintenance of the specified quality standards in all aspects of work, including participation in proficiency and quality assurance trials.
- Undertaking general laboratory maintenance duties, including: solution and reagent preparation, ensuring the availability of disposable and consumable items, equipment maintenance and calibration.
- Ability to adapt quickly and work under pressure in a fast paced environment. Delivery of results with short turnaround times.
Skills and Experience
The successful applicant should hold a relevant tertiary qualification in science. Experience in workplace drug testing and/or toxicology and the use of scientific equipment such as biochemistry auto analysers, GC-MS or LC-MS/MS instrumentation would be an advantage. The position also requires excellent communication skills and the ability to work in a team environment.
In return you will get to work alongside other scientists who support great outcomes for the health and wellbeing of New Zealanders and the New Zealand environment. You will receive generous leave provisions, free onsite parking and have access to various wellness opportunities.
A pre-employment drug-screen, disclosure of criminal charges/convictions, proof of academic qualifications/papers, and the provision of a staff elimination DNA sample and participation in ESRs immunisation programme are conditions of employment for this position.
For more information and to apply, please click here.