The Secondary Chemistry Educators of NZ or SCENZ is a national chemistry teachers’ subject association, established in order to support and promote chemistry education throughout New Zealand. The new association provides a voice for chemistry teachers with the Ministry of Education and NZQA as well as opportunities to resource and support teachers with chemistry teaching and assessment matters. The group operates under the umbrella of the New Zealand Institute of Chemistry.
To become a member of SCENZ, your school needs to register for a school membership with NZIC. When a school pays for this membership, any teacher at that school becomes a member of SCENZ.
Please note that school membership gives access to all the NZIC exams. The exams are not available to be purchased separately.
Being part of SCENZ provides:
- Access to all previous and current year NZIC Chemistry exams (Levels 2 and 3 and Scholarship) at no additional charge.
- Access to resources developed by the association to support chemistry teaching and learning in NZ schools
- Access to professional development opportunities that support chemistry teaching in NZ schools
- Representation in discussions with Ministry of Education and NZQA around curriculum, assessment and chemistry related teaching matters
- Voting rights for the organisation of SCENZ
The Ministry of Education will be working with subject associations in the review of achievement standards so SCENZ will be the contact point for this work.
Ian Torrie – St Cuthbert’s College, Auckland
Dr Murray Thompson – Logan Park High School, Dunedin
Suzie Scourfield – Whangārei Girls’ High School
Dr Suzanne Boniface
Auckland & Northland (2 reps)
Emma Smith – Whangārei Girls’ High School
Kieran Gainsford – One Tree Hill College, Auckland
Waikato/BOP (1 rep)
Claire Lindsey – Mount Maunganui College
Manawatu (1 rep)
Jo Standley – Whanganui Collegiate School
Wellington/Nelson/Marlborough (1 rep)
Phil Kendon – Wellington College
Canterbury (1 rep)
Kathryn Coakley – St Margaret’s College
Otago (1 rep)
Vicki Millar – Otago Girls’ High School
The SCENZ constitution can be downloaded here.