Grants are regarded as Grants-in-Aid to assist, in particular, those unable to obtain significant assistance from other sources.
- Grants are made to student members who are to present papers or posters at scientific meetings. The applicant must be presenting at the intended meeting.
- Applicants must be NZIC members. Membership must have been held for a minimum of 6 months prior to application. Some exceptions may be made at Branch discretion.
- Priority is placed on grants relating to the NZIC biennial conference.
- Travel grants are up to a maximum of $300 for a New Zealand conference and $500 for other countries. At times of multiple applications, the local Branch Committee reserves the right to adopt an approach of equitable distribution of available funds.
- A maximum of two grants will be awarded per person. In any funding round priority will be given to first-time applications.
- Proof of abstract acceptance is required prior to payment of the award.
- Grants are not available for research associated with full-time employment. No grant will be made for an application directly relating to logistic support for thesis study.
- A consideration in awarding grants will be the relevance of the study or the conference to the general development of science in the local area of the awarding NZIC Branch.
- Applications should be made 12 weeks in advance of overseas conferences, and 8 weeks in advance of New Zealand conferences. Only in exceptional circumstances will late applications be considered.
Conditions of Awards
Grants may only be used for the purpose stated in the application.
- Successful applicants will be expected to provide a photo and caption suitable for promotion of the grant on Social Media (Facebook, Twitter etc), the NZIC website and electronic screens in the host Department/School.
- Successful applicants will be expected to either: make a short presentation at a Branch Meeting of the awarding NZIC Branch and provide a brief report suitable for publication in Chemistry in New Zealand covering the conference or meeting attended; or write a research related article for publication in Chemistry in New Zealand at the discretion of the awarding Branch.
- The report and photo/caption should be submitted to the awarding branch within one month of returning from the travel.